اندیشمند بزرگترین احساسش عشق است و هر عملش با خرد

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A Message from Congressman Swalwell- and Response

It is difficult to find an honest politician who tells people the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Of course it is not impossible to find one (Bernie Sanders is a good example), but unfortunately they are rare and subject to change. The reason that they can be so outright dishonest is that they don't believe in their constituents' intelligence. Perhaps, some of the people whom they are representing have similar character, but not all are like them, and I dare to say that the majority of people are truthful. I never voted any of the elected officials into their offices and they are representing me without getting any help from me to become an elected officials. Therefore, there is no hard feeling! However, since we they are getting paid to represent me, they have to listen to my voice as well.
When the new restriction for Iranians traveling to the US was discussed behind closed doors, with Obama promising to sign it if it passed both houses, Iranians who became aware of this through NIAC (such as myself) started calling on their senators and representatives. In my case, two of the elected officials in the state I reside did not vote for its passing. The other ones all voted for it and did not respond to my request and others who claimed the same as me. Until today, when I received a response from Congressman Swalwell, as follows:



Eric Swalwell
15th District, California
Permanent Select
Committee on Intelligence

• Ranking Member
Subcommittee on CIA

• Subcommittee on Department
of Defense Intelligence And
Overhead Architecture Committee on Science,
Space, and Technology

• Subcommittee on Energy

• Subcommittee on
Research & Technology

Congress of the United States // House of Representatives
DEMOCRATIC STEERING &
POLICY COMMITTEE


REGIONAL DEMOCRATIC WHIP

DEMOCRATIC POLICY &
COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE


1260 B Street, Suite 150
Hayward, CA 94541
(510) 370-3322
5075 Hopyard Road, Suite 220
Pleasanton, CA 94588
(925) 460-5100
129 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-5065
http://swalwell.house.gov
January 27, 2016


Mr. Mark Fazeli
4090 Alta Ct
Pleasanton, CA 94588-4404


Dear Mr. Fazeli,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for H.R. 4380, the Equal Protection in Travel Act of 2016.  I always appreciate hearing from my constituents, and I am glad to receive your input on this important issue.

As you may know, the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows the nationals of certain countries to come to the U.S. without a visa.  However, a provision in H.R. 2029, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2016, which is now law, requires people who could otherwise travel under the VWP and who since March 2011 have been to Iraq, Syria, or other countries designated as state sponsors of terrorism, which includes Iran, or are also nationals of these countries to first obtain a visa before coming to the United States.  The intent of this provision is to protect against foreign fighters using the VWP to travel to the U.S. by mandating the acquisition of a visa, which generally requires an in-person interview.  The Equal Protection in Travel Act of 2016 would once again allow dual nationals of these countries to travel under the VWP.  Proponents of this bill argue that it would replace discriminatory travel restrictions based on someone's ethnic heritage.

More broadly, it is important to remember that we are a nation of immigrants that is welcoming to people of all faiths and backgrounds.  At the same time, my most solemn responsibility, as an elected official, is to keep Americans safe.  As a member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, I am working diligently to protect our country from threats while ensuring that civil rights and liberties are protected.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your views, and I certainly will keep them in mind.  Visit my website or contact my East Bay offices at 510-370-3322 or 925-460-5100 if we can be of service in any way.  To stay connected, join me on Twitter @RepSwalwell, Facebook, and, if you have not done so already, please sign-up on my website to receive my e-newsletter.
Sincerely,
(signed)
Eric Swalwell
Member of Congress
Twitter Facebook YouTube
Please do not reply to this email. The mailbox is unattended.
To share your thoughts, please visit my webpage

Obviously, he was giving me the lip service that I am familiar with. Just to let him know that he mis-judged my knowledge of the policy the government is pursuing through this and other regulations, I responded to him as follows:

Dear Mr. Swalwell;

Thank you for responding to my request. Not only I did not support this bill, my request from you was to vote against it. You mentioned that you were working diligently to protect our country from threats. The question is, what threats has any Iranian inflicted upon this country? I am sure you are aware of the following facts, but I like to remind you of them in case you have forgotten:
  • None of the people in September Eleven attack had Iranian nationality. In fact, there has not been a single case of terrorism outside of Iran against non-Iranians, performed by an Iranian. When the Islamic government at their early days attempted to assassinate their opponents in other countries, they had to hire Pakistani or Arab nationals to do their dirty works, in most cases.
  • The majority of 9/11 attackers were from Saudi Arabia and other Arab nations.
  • ISIS and many other terrorist organizations in Iraq and Syria are funded and supported by Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Emirates.
  • You may not find one single Iranian recruited by terrorist organizations fighting in the Middle-East.
  • Iranians living in the US have been considered for many years, as well educated people, and the most successful group among all immigrants: "Iranian-Americans are among the highest-educated people in the United States. They have historically excelled in business, academia, the sciences, arts, and entertainment – but have traditionally shied away from participating in American politics and other civic activities." (sourece: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Americans)
There should be a logical base for any decision that is made in the government, which would effect a large group of citizens. The estimate of Iranian- American population ranges from a half to one million people, mostly living in California. I just checked the records available to me, and found out that there has not been a single case of an Iranian convicted of terrorism in the United States. 
It seems to me that including Iranians with other nationals in HR 4380, and even considering Iran as a country that harbors terrorism, stem from other issues with the Islamic Republic government, and has no bearing on Iranian citizens. Punishing Iranians as a whole, whether in Iran, in Europe, or in the United States, because of political disagreements with Iranian government, a government which has not been favored and supported by a large majority of Iranians anywhere in the world, and at least for the past couple of decades, is not fair and extremely divisive.

Thank you again for responding to my request,