اندیشمند بزرگترین احساسش عشق است و هر عملش با خرد

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother

The word “mother” is pronounced similarly in many other languages. For instance mother is
“madre” in Spanish, Italian, and some other Latin languages, “moeder” in Afrikaans, “om” in Arabic, “ama” in Basque, “maui” in Belarusian, “majka” in Bosnian, “майка” in Bulgarian, “matka” in Czech, “mor” in Swedish and Danish, “moeder” in Dutch, “mere” in French, “mutter” in German, “mádar” in Farsi, “máthair” in Irish, “mor” in Norwegian, “mama” in Russian and Polish, “mãe” in Portuguese, “mama” in Romanian, and “mam” in Welch (with the help of Google Translate). Considering that “m” is the first sound that a child utters, it is the first word that a child learns is to call his or her mother. The word “mammal” is taken from the same root. 

Considering that in most species female gender gives birth or lay eggs, it is not hard to understand why the closest person to a new born is his or her mother. In the world we are living in nowadays, where the dominant gender is male, it is hard to imagine that in the ancient times women were the central character in a group or tribe or family, provided by nature. Celebrating mother should really be a central theme of every person your around. Women are entitled more attention and more authority in any society than the recognition they receive today. In our capitalist, wealth oriented, and materialistic societies of our time, the role of mothers is recognized to one day a year, appreciated with some flowers or presents. Looking back, mothers received more values in the ancient times. Literature of the past, before established religions (which value male figures and degrade women created from and for men) females controlled every aspects of their societies. For instance, there were female rulers and governors. Women were not weak or sex objects, but a crucial member of a tribe or family who bound other members together. Even the word “female” is an extract of the word “male”! As women find more places in progressive societies, their values are more recognized as well. The problem is that when women started demanding their liberation and equalities more than a century ago, they claimed to take positions men held in, such as becoming an equally paid working person. They already had a greater place in those societies, granted by nature. Their station in motherhood, giving birth to and raising another human being, was never appreciated, not only by men but even by themselves! Women should have been fighting for their status in the society. Motherhood and raising children to a stage where they can become a valuable part of the society are more important and more vital than any work a man can do. Women need to recognize their vital role and demand mothering their children while receiving equal or greater pay and benefits and greater wealth of the society, instead of demanding to do the same work men do.
However, in the present condition where men make most of the decisions for women, having one out of every three hundred sixty five days is a welcome beginning. In addition to consumerism and buying presents for mothers, some express themselves through art and poetry. Followings are titles of some poems for mother (from “Because I Love You” 2011 edition of A Blue Mountain Arts, Collection):

  • Because I love you mother
  • I wish I could gift-wrap my love and give it to you
  • I am proud to call you my mother
  • You’re not just my mother, you’re my best friend
  • You are one of the strongest women I know
  • It’s all because of you
  • In you I’ve seen everything that love can be
  • I couldn’t ask for a better mother than you
  • No matter what… you’ll always be my mother
  • I will always respect your judgment
  • I’ve learned so much from you
  • You have always been there for me
  • Your love is the greatest gift you have ever given me
  • Thank you for believing in me
  • You always encouraged the best in me
  • There is so much I’d like you to know
  • I will always need you in my life
  • In my heart…
  • A mother’s love is never-ending
  • Your love will live forever within me
  • I appreciate you more and more every day
  • You’re the best
  • You’re such an angel to me
  • There is so much that I admire about you, mom
  • You are one of the nicest people on the planet
  • Some of my best memories revolve around you
  • I wish everyone could have a mother like you
  • You are my perfect mother
  • I wish everyone could have a mother like you
  • If I could, mom, I would make your world perfect for you
  • I don’t know what I’d do without you
  • You are the light of my life
  • Even when we’re apart, you are still with me
  • The bond between mother and child lasts a lifetime
  • Mother, I could never thank you enough for all you’ve done
  • I love you so much
You made being a family one of the best parts of my life
A day doesn’t go by that
I don’t realize how fortunate I am
            to be a part of our family.
I know our family isn’t perfect,
and most likely, we never will be,
but we are a loving, caring family.
We’ve had our highs and lows.
We’ve been through some tough times
and had our share of easy times, too.
But we’ve always shared a sense of security
that has helped us through.
We’ve disagreed with each other
and even disappointed each other,
but we accepted those times of irritation,
knowing they would pass and we’d all come
to understand how each of us really felt.
Knowing that I could count on you,
no mater what, has made
the biggest difference in my life.
I’ve always known that I had somewhere
I could go anytime I needed help or guidance,
and I’d be welcome.
Thank you for the love you gave to me
and for the feelings of faith and trust.
You are a really incredible parent
who has made being a family
one of the best parts of my life.
No matter what life brings my way
or how my life changes from year to year,
I will always have love in my heart
and the feelings of family
to make my life worthwhile.
-       Ben Daniels